Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Awfully beautiful...

I consider this plant awfully beautiful!  Since I've mentioned some pretty fancy weeds in the past, I thought I would mention another one!  This is 'Summer Chocolate' Mimosa, the first purple leaved mimosa on the market.  Mimosas grow into a beautiful umbrella shaped tree that will last for years.  It still bears the lovely pink puffs of smoke flowers that look great against the purple foliage.  I know some people are scared to plant something like this in their yard, but just think about it.  Most of the other plants we have in our landscape are just as invasive i.e. redbud, silver maple, Bradford pear.  I consider an invasive plant to be one that displaces natural plants.  I've never considered this invasive because it usually grows along the tree line, not actually choking out native plant life.  

There is a new one that is supposed to be darker than 'Summer Chocolate' called 'Merlot Majik', but I can't say that for sure yet.  As soon as I can see if in person, I will let everyone know!




No comments:

Post a Comment